Linux Systems Administrator
Location: Washington, DC
Install and Configure Linux Servers
- Install and set up Linux systems and servers.
- Develop servers and provide support to individual users to ensure that the system works reliably and quickly.
- Answer user questions throughout the setup and installation process.
- Build the server’s back-end architecture, including databases and scripts for specific applications and user needs.
Provide Technical Support and Guidance
- Provide technical support and guidance to users and other administrators. I
- Work closely with other IT departments and professionals to answer technical questions or resolve issues with server performance and access.
- Install and maintain Linux-based programs for end users and help debug these applications so that they work with Linux servers.
Perform System Maintenance
- Conduct system maintenance activities, usually on the server back end.
- Review error logs and user-reported errors and identify stable and reliable solutions.
- Work directly with the system’s code base to make necessary changes and then deploy those changes throughout the server.
Monitor System Performance
- Monitor performance to reduce interruptions and server crashes. This can involve monitoring daily traffic logs and reports or working directly with end users.
- Develop and deploy proactive solutions to ensure system usability across the organization.
Create System Backups
- Perform system backups according to company or industry standards to ensure that the system can be quickly recovered after a crash or other outage and supports data integrity by ensuring that vital information is not lost during an outage.
Maintain System Security
- Maintain system security by noticing faults and vulnerabilities within the server’s architecture. This part of the job requires extensive knowledge of viruses and other sources of server vulnerability and to develop and deploy protection measures, particularly when pushing out system-wide changes that can open up new vulnerabilities
- BS Degree, 5-7 years of experience
- Well versed in the use and administration of the CI/CD tools we use such as Jenkins, Sonar, Bitbucket, Ansible, and Nexus.
- Experience in DevOps/CICD servers /apps.
- Strong knowledge of Linux Server and UNIX/Linux, particularly RHEL7.
- Experience supporting microservices and containers, CI/CD, DevOps infrastructure and tools: Openshift/Kubernetes, VMWare
- Experience with Agile tools: JIRA, Confluence
- Experience installing, configuring and maintaining common Java build tools (Jenkins, Bitbucket, SONAR, Ant, Maven, Gradle, Ansible, Ansible Tower, Docker, Nexus)
- Experience with Shell Scripting (PERL, Kornshell, etc)
- Experience w/ eXtensible Markup Language (XML) and SOAP
- Experience w/ Messaging Frameworks (JMS, WMQ, MQSeries)
- Experience w/ SOA Architectures and Web services.
- Experience w/ Networking protocols such as TCP/IP, NFS, DNS, TCP/IP, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP & SSH
- Experience with file systems and storage arrays (NTFS, SAMBA Share, and SAN)
- Experience with Server Applications such as Apache Tomcat, Websphere, etc
- Administration of batch jobs on Windows/Linux environment
- Administering Linux /Windows environment using Tomcat/JBoss
- Evaluate new and existing 3rd Party software products which support the development process or integrated into custom developed applications.
Nice to Have:
• RedHat OpenShift Container Platform (OCP) experience
• Experience with Intel based PC’s and Servers utilizing Windows 7, 10 and Windows Server operating systems
• Experience supporting applications using Alfressco Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
• Experience administering/supporting Window Servers running .NET applications